Thursday 1 April 2010

Spiced Butternut squash mash

Here's another baby food recipe I thought I'd share. This one is my own creation!!

My daughter has never been too keen on plain butternut squash for some inexplicable reason, so I thought I'd have a try at 'spicing' it up a bit for her! So I got into the kitchen and came up with the following recipe. I'm happy to add that my daughter is now a fan of butternut squash!


Ingredients:
1 organic butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 potato, peeled and diced
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 small garlic clove
Dash of Olive oil
Pinch of dried herbs de Provence
Pinch of ground cumin
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Splash of water

In a pan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat and add the chopped onion. Let that soften then add the butternut squash, potato and garlic. Give it a good stir. Then stir in the herbs and spices and add a splash of water to stop the ingredients sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Place a lid on the pan and lower the heat to let the potatoes and squash gently cook through.
After 15 mins or so it should be all nicely cooked through and soft.
Now I guess the options are endless!
As my daughter is 10 months old and can feed herself finger foods I didn't bother to purée this. I just mashed it a but with a spoon, making sure to leave some lumps of squash and potato to add a bit of texture.
But you could purée it, or even use it as a spread on some toast.
With the left over mash you can freeze it for later (this recipe makes a large batch).

This recipe is suitable for babies aged 8 months and over.

Enjoy!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments: